January 3, 2011

Tutorial: Monogrammed Journals

I was looking through one of my favorite books

and decided to modify these cute journals for some stocking stuffers for my sisters.

I came up with a fun monogrammed journal using fusible web. I hope you enjoy....


Materials:
-Scrap piece of fabric large enough for your monogram
-small piece of fusible web (slightly smaller than fabric scrap)
-scissors
-paper cover journal (I recommend moleskin brand)
-sewing machine

Start off by ironing the fusible web to the fabric following the manufactures instructions.

Trim the fabric to the size of the fusible web.

Cut out the monogram letter. I did this freehand but you can always draw it out before cutting. Just remember that you have to draw the letter backwards so that it is correct on the right side.

Peel off the fusible web paper.

Iron your letter where you would like on your journal.

Using a zig zag stitch on your machine, sew along the entire perimeter of the letter.

trim any loose threads and your done!

The first one was so quick that I made 3 in 30 minutes.

I started thinking of other modifications I could make and if you look really hard you can see that I freehand "quilted" my full name under my monogram. I thought it looked fun but wish I had done it with black thread instead of white.

What modifications do you think you would make when you try making one of your own journals?
 I would love to see your creations using my tutorials.  Post pictures here.
Take care mucho,
-Natalie

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. I would totally do the monogram backwards by mistake! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really fun, what a great gift topper for my girlfriends. Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you've got a hardback notebook, use fabric glue and slightly thicker interfacing - Hello easy, personal present!

    ReplyDelete