February 4, 2009

Talking Stash....

Sew Mama Sew is having participants talk about their fabric stash and I thought that sounded fun since I just went fabric shopping (my favorite!).   So here goes....

What do you usually sew?
I love to make quilts.  Though I make a little of everything.

When you shop for fabric, what size cuts to do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don't have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
I usually buy 1/2 a yard of fabric.  I feel like that is enough to create something of substance.

Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
I usually buy things I am looking for since I don't have too much storage space, but if I am out and I see something I really like I grab a half yard.  

Are you a pre-washer?  If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you are ready to use it?
I never prewash my fabrics.  I always forget and haven't really had any problems because of it.  

Do you iron it?
I definitely iron my fabric before cutting.  It makes cutting much easier especially when using a rotary cutter. 

How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
I sort by color for the most part, but also by kind of fabric.  

Do you have any special folding techniques?
I don't have any particular folding techniques though I have read some blogs that share some easy ways to fold using your rotary cutter ruler that I am thinking of doing to makes my stash look a little better.

How do you store your  fabric?
I have elfa shelves from the container store that my folded fabric all goes in.  

What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
Honestly with time you stash builds no matter what you do.  I feel as though you really do have to buy small fat quarters and half yards as you fall in love with them.  

When do you say enough is enough?
When I have 10 unfinished projects waiting 

What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
I love lap quilts!  You can use so much of your fabric and come out with a great usable piece.  

Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let's see it!
I have so many that I love but I have one that I just got today.  I know you have seen it before.  


What's your definition of the perfect stash? (Consider sharing a picture or two of your stash & storage, or direct us to a pic on Flickr!)
A perfect stash is one that whenever you look in for a project you have stuff to work with.  This can be very different for many people.   I'll show you mine.... it still isn't ideal but last year I was on quite a budget so I couldn't contribute too much.  

1 comment:

  1. Seems like most everyone I've seen that is doing this agrees on one thing--you NEED to have the stash! Wish men understood that!
    ~Shelly~

    ReplyDelete