April 25, 2010

Quilt Along #2: Zig Zag

Welcome all to the beginning of our second quilt along- the Zig Zag quilt.

As with all my quilt alongs for this series, they focus on a fat quarter pack of 12.  If you read my blog regularly you know very well how much I love the packs from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I don't get anything perks from their shop for saying this.  I just really like their fabric and specifically their fat quarter packs!  I have been a member of their fat quarter club for over a year and have an abundance of packs hanging out and I wanted to challenge myself to create fun quilts and projects to use them up.

This week is devoted to gathering our materials.

The first one is obvious, 12 fat quarters.  You don't have to use a pack like I will, you can use 12 fat quarters of your choice, or even 6 half yards (you will have two zig zags of each fabric), or even 1.5 yards of 2 fabrics (for alternating zig zags).
(I will be using my flora & fauna by Michael Miller pack for this one)

Next you will need your cutting materials


Then somethings you may want to think about but don't need right away...
  * 2 yards backing fabric (this is going to be pretty exact so if your fabric store cuts without a little    wiggle room please ask for 2.25 yards)

  * batting 75"x 51" (this is an approximate size since batting has to be a few inches bigger than the final quilt)

  * coordinating thread for piecing and quilting

I am giving you info. for the quilt that I am going to make with you, though, this pattern is super easy to modify its size.  We are going to be using half square triangles to create the zig zags, so you can make less squares to make a smaller baby quilt, or add more squares to create a bed comforter.  Possibilities are endless.

Next week we will be cutting our fat quarters (or half yards, or yardage), so have some fun this week picking out some fabric.  This is always my favorite part!

Hope you are able to join us either on the sidelines or by playing along :)

Take care mucho,
-Natalie


No comments:

Post a Comment