April 3, 2010

Ciao Bella!

I have been meaning to create a t-shirt quilt for as long as I can remember and I have finally done it!!

I was looking through a course catalog of local adult courses you can sign up for, like I always do when the catalog arrives.  I saw a t-shirt quilting class listed and next to it the name of my high school home ec teacher!  I thought it would be hilarious to be her student yet again.  I thought she would be floored at knowing that I was still sewing.  Needless to say I signed up for the class right then and there.  Mrs. Frazier, as I still call her because I just can't get used to calling her by her first name, was very happy to see me on the first class.  I was telling her all my sewing endeavors and how she had been the one to inspire the love of quilts in me.  I made my very first one in her class and I still have it and actually use it. 

I knew right away what t-shirts I wanted to use.  During my wedding/honeymoon in Italy I went a little nuts and bought 12 of the same Ciao Bella t-shirts that are very nostalgic, from the days when I studied in Florence.  Off I went to work on the t-shirts with Ms. Frazier, and I have ended up with this great quilt!

The only thing I wish is, that I had been even crazier and bought more t-shirts to make it bigger.  My husband would have killed me though so I guess a baby size will have to do.  Perfect for the first kid (insert husband having a heart attack, haha) Don't worry it won't be for a while :)

The backing is fun sweatshirt material in navy blue.  You can get a glimpse of it in this picture
I used the same "pillow" technique that I used on the first quilt along quilt so it made things a little bit easier.  Did I mention that I was the only one to do it this way.  I kept doing my own thing throughout the class.  I guess there isn't much that has changed since my high school days, hehe.

Have you finally conquered a project you have been meaning to do for a while?

Take care mucho,
-Natalie

PS- You still have time to join the quilt along giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment